Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fall is in the air...

This morning I woke up and the air felt different today than it did yesterday and everyother day this past week.  I got out of our tent (in the backyard) and came in the house deciding that today was a great day to make carrot muffins.  Before Anomantia got up, I had cleaned the kitchen and started mixing the batter to my carrot muffins.  After breakfast, we sampled some of the muffins and then went for our daily walk around the block and down the back alley to admire everyone's gardens.  This year our garden is a write off.  It has been attacked from every angle and I am ready to give up.  This spring was a very dry spring and our soil proved to be fairly dead, followed by a rainy month of June and terrible wind-rain-tornado storms for most of July.  We have been hammered with hail the size of golf balls which took the leaves off of any plants that did grown in our barren wasteland of a garden.  August so far has proved to be pretty much of the same what little we have had so far.  All I can say is I am grateful for my greenhouse.  So far it has yielded a single tomato and a green pepper, several carrots (our soil is too dense to do these outdoors).  But this morning, I feel harvest time is quickly approaching as the threat of frost looms. My guess is that before labour day weekend, we will have seen the beginning of the end of gardening for this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment