Sunday, February 14, 2016

Run for your life...

It has been a long time since I took the time to sit down and write.
This past year has changed me in more ways than one.  I set some goals, crushed them into the ground, set some more and smashed them up too.  I am at a pivotal point where my goals are push me to limits I didn't know existed. 
I guess some would say I have found my niche.  My utopia.  I found a group of like minded individuals that encourage me to be better and do better.  I am so at peace, my depression has melted away and I am becoming the person I am supposed to be.  My lovely run club gave me the courage and support to develop my skills and knowledge of my sport.  And so this year I have become a runner.  I eat, sleep, run and repeat as much as possible (with a full time job in the mix).
This year I participated in my first Running Room half marathon clinic to prepare for the BMO Okanagan half marathon.   It was AMAZING, not only because of the fantastic instructors, but because my body responded to the training program, I went from a finish time of 2:42:36 in 2014 to a 2:06:58 in 2015!  This was a huge milestone for me.  A big WIN.   To make things even more interesting, one of my instructors, Heather asked me to co-instruct/coach the following clinic geared towards the Hypothermic half marathon.  To which I agreed. 
So here I am, the night before the race reflecting on all the awesome training runs, bloody feet, lots of sweat and maybe a few tears that we have been through.  Heather and I have been running and training together and apart for almost nine months.  She is an amazing young woman and I am incredibly honoured to have been able to co-instruct with her.  We have several races planned and goal times to push towards this up coming year.  We started it all off with the New Years Pure Protein Resolution Run and a leap year virtual run to raise awareness for rare diseases.  Tomorrow's Hypothermic half marathon will be a trial of our strength, endurance and determination. 
So to honour my best running friend, Heather, this run is for us.  For all we have done and worked for for the hundreds of kilometres we have run together, and to many, many more.  Thank you a million times over for being so awesomely crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment