Monday, June 14, 2010

Food for thought

Today started off rough but came around in the end. Yesterday, Laurence and I worked at getting our beef roasts ready for jerky. We made the brine and marinated it all overnight. This morning started way too early with Anomantia overheated and hungry crying for someone to come and help her out. As always, I hauled my half awake-half asleep butt out of bed to help her out. I changed her, then nursed her back to sleep. At 6:30am I woke up to the smell of Jerky being made downstairs. I thought I'd be saying YUM but my reaction was more of a YUCK! The smell dominated my house (for the record, I don't like the smell of raw red meat... It makes me nauseous) upstairs and all the way through the next three levels of our house. There was no escaping the smell of marinated meat. As the morning progressed, I cleaned the kitchen storage closet out and opened all the doors and windows to let the smell out. Anomantia was the most content in the living room next to the dehydrator all morning... Go figure!?! As lunch rolled around, I sliced some apple slices for her and she was really uninterested, so I was trying a piece of our homemade beef jerky with her next to me, eyes glaring directly at the jerky as I attempted to rip a piece apart. We decided that giving her a piece to nom on wouldn't hurt so long as we didn't leave her alone with it. This afternoon, we discovered that Anomantia's favourite food by far is homemade beef jerky. She gummed the jerky until there was just a tiny mush of meat left. She was so proud of herself at the end, covered in meat juice from ear to ear. I never imagined that my baby would be so... umm how to put this??? ... CARNIVOROUS!
After her jerky, she played for about an hour in her jolly jumper while I put laundry away, followed by playing Tasmanian devil with her sock pile, I think I am still missing a few. Seriously, it was pitching practice in her bedroom with paired up socks. Note to self, don't turn head away from her when in reach of any form of ball because it will likely end up across the room or cloth because it will likely end up in her mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment