Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hayfever in the backyard

Today was rather uneventful aside from finding out that my baby has allergies. I was up early enough to mow the lawn before it was too hot and she was on the side step in the shade and started screaming when I was mid-lawn. Her face and eyes were all red and swollen and covered in hives. My first thought was that she has scratched her whole face (wouldn't be the first time) but when the swelling wouldn't go down with a cold cloth, I realised that she inherited her dad's allergies to dust, pollens, grasses and dander. I took some Benadryl for her and hopefully it will help as it leaches into the breast milk. I am unsure about giving her antihistamines because they don't make them for babies but there is the children's liquid version that I have yet to take a close enough look at to be sure, but if it is weight based doses then she might be on the scale. She is almost 19 lbs at 5 months old and Friday morning her Pavlik harness comes off... 5 days and counting! Meanwhile, we are trying to get our backyard landscaped and ready to enjoy all summer long. I think that I will be busting out the pool soon enough if this weather stays. Next weekend the local outdoor farmer's market opens. Last year I attended all but 4 weeks of it. I love seeing the local artists and the buskers as well as the good quality vegetables, I buy before my garden is mature enough, from the Hutterite Colonies. There is always something to do or see at the market and I think that Anomantia will enjoy it too. There are lots of people and so far she likes to watch them. She doesn't like people talking at her unless she knows them already. She has begun to make strange at faces that she hasn't seen before or at people who are nervous around her. I am sure that it is just a phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment