Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge Day 18- Food

Today's challenge is to post a recipe that I love.  That is a hard one for me because I have a few that I keep in regular rotation at home and then there is the special occasion recipes that require more prep time.  So I decided to give the following:

Carlee's version of Jamaican Jerk Chicken (very Spicy)
  • 1 Tbsp Ground Allspice (15mL)
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme (15mL)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (20mL)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper (20mL)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Ground Sage (20mL)
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg (7mL)
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon (7mL)
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder or Freshly minced (30mL)
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar * (15mL)
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil (60mL)
  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce (60mL)
  • 3/4 cup White Vinegar (185mL)
  • 1/2 cup Orange Juice (125mL)
  • 1 lime - juice only
  • 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (habañero) or 3 Thai Bird Chilies - finely chopped
  • 3 Green Onions - finely chopped
  • 1 cup Onion - finely chopped (250mL)
  • 4 to 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients (to the *) then using a whisk slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice and lime juice.  Mix well.  Then add the Scotch bonnet peppers, onions and mix well.
Take the Chicken Breasts and "Jerk*" them.
Add chicken breasts to the mixture and let marinate at least one hour if not more (I usually marinate for 8-12 hours).  Grill or bake chicken until done.  If grilling, baste chicken with the marinade.
Bring leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.
Goes well with grilled vegetables and rice.  I have also diced the breasts and added veggies to make jerk kabobs which were a hit as well.

* Jerk means take a sharp object and make holes.  In this case, I use a fork and and make holes all over on both sides.


This recipe is my husband's favourite.  I make it so rarely because it takes a lot of prep time but have never had any issues with it.  I will save my other recipes for another day.

Enjoy,
Carlee

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really great, i will have to try this, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a spicy food lover 'cause I'm always on hearburn meds :(
    But it sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete