Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My worst Injury (SBC Day 12)

My worst injury, would have to be the c-section I had with Anomantia.  Recovery sucked!  4:30pm, December 15th, 2009  I went into labour naturally (I thought I was 37weeks 1 day pregnant, but was probably closer to 36weeks).  I laboured at home until 2:30am on the 16th when we moved the labour party (me, Laurence and my friend Elise) to the hospital.  I was excited that I was going to finally meet my baby.  I got to the hospital and was stuck in the assessment room on a bed to be checked and see that all was good.  I had been to see my doctor on the morning of the 15th and he had said that all was looking good, the head was down and labour should start on its own within the next couple of weeks.  In the assessment room, the nurses kept on whispering and going out to the nurses station and bringing other nurses in and in total, I was checked by 6 different nurses!  I was 4 cm when I came in and by the time they figured out that there was a bum and a foot instead of the head, I was 6cm.  By the time the OB on call came in with the ultrasound machine, I was 8cm.  By the time I was wheeled to the OR, I was 9cm... No drugs yet.  I got to the OR and was ready to push by the time the spinal block was in and I was cut open, I was so mad, I was vibrating!  I had hoped for a drug free labour and delivery and my doctor messed that up for me.  Needless to say I was very skeptical of his judgement after that.  When I confirmed my second pregnancy, I sought other care and other options.  I had the worst experience with my first birth and that is my worst injury ever.  The spinal caused permanent damage to a nerve in my back and I had a constant pins and needles feeling in my back and down the right side of my body that are still present today.  I have since realised that I NEVER want to be cut open again, and definitely no more needles or anything in my back.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my VBAC and a completely different experience with my 2nd. It made everything that I went through easier to swallow.

      Delete